Monday, May 30, 2011

On Manahprasada, the tranquility of the mind.

Gurumayi doesn't write. She only speaks. There are poems, but mostly she gives talks and they are recorded for devotees, present and in the future. They are 2 different acts aren't they? Does a talk mean you have a better grasp of a subject that writing?

I'm not sure. I'm watching Gurumayi talk right now.

She says people think you take up the spiritual path when things get tough. She says, "then it's too late." You have to give your energy to solving your problems not to the spiritual path.
I think they can be the same thing though.

She is speaking  of manahprasada, peace of mind. She has mentioned Vashistha and now she speaks of Patanjali. I wish I knew which sutra it is that she quotes but it says to cultivate friendhip toward the happy. Who do you think is happy though? Mayi goes on to speak of resenting happiness and so forth, but I still think there is a question about what happiness is and who is happy. Is it the stock broker who is making so much money or the hippie living on his commune? Is it the monk in the monastery or is it the playboy in his mansion? Who is happy, what are the qualities of happiness, true happiness, not an ephemeral happiness.

Mayi gives a dharana where we must contemplate a happy person we know. I found it hard to think of a happy person, there were dope smokers in the Netherlands and so on, Elvis seemed to be the most happy person I ever knew and finally it came to me, the righteous person, like Lincoln, was happy. This is like the Living Bible and the Urantia Book's translation of the New Testament's sermon on the mount, Happy are the Pure in Heart and so forth. Happy instead of Blessed. In Siddha Yoga they say blessed quite often. I wonder if they don't really get the happy thing. We say happy now instead of blessed, Gurumayi. Blessed is old hat.

Cultivate compassion on the miserable. As Gurumayi continues to speak I think these sutras apply more to Gurumayi than to me. It is nearly boasting or a joyful statement coming from the great accomplishment of self-realization. So, only then can you avoid this talk being a lecture. Serve humanity? That's her thing, isn't it? I'm not saying I want to serve humanity. I am the miserable who wants compassion.

No comments: